The HLTAID003 Provide First Aid course is the minimum requirement for workplace first aid compliance. The Provide First Aid unit of competency provides you with the skills and knowledge required to provide first aid response, life support, management of casualty(s), the incident and other First Aiders until emergency qualified help arrives at the scene of the accident.
This course was previously known as Apply First Aid, Senior First Aid or Level 2 Workplace First Aid.
This unit of competency is classified as current as per the information provided for this unit at https://training.gov.au/training/details/hltaid003
The unit applies to all workers who may be required to provide a first aid response in a range of situations, including community and workplace settings.
Course Mode and Duration
Our course is flexible in delivery and comprises a pre-course online component for new First Aiders followed by our 1 day in-class practical course.
For people who require a refresher course there is no online workbook required. Evidence of first aid training within the previous 3 years is required.
Available face to face in your workplace.
Duration = up to 8 hrs
For the Newbies:
If you have not previously completed a Provide First Aid course or it has been more than 3 years since you completed a first aid course, you are required to complete the pre course reading and answer a short quiz.
If you have completed a Provide First Aid course within the last 3 years, we may require evidence of prior learning.
Participants are required to present identification and a USI no. at the beginning of each training session. You can obtain your USI via the following link: https://www.usi.gov.au/
There are no prerequisite, entry, work-placement, licencing or certification requirements for this course.
Students are not required to bring any materials or equipment with them to the course.
A list of topics and skills covered in this comprehensive course is as below:
- The legal responsibilities in first aid practice.
- The principles, procedures and standard precautions need to be undertaken to control infection and its spread.
- ‘Chain of Survival’.
- Handover to emergency services
- Basic anatomy and physiology
You will learn the first aid management of:
- Basic Life Support and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Medical conditions: Such as cardiac conditions, epilepsy, diabetes, asthma, and other respiratory conditions
- Injuries: Cold and crush injuries, eye and ear injuries, head, neck and spinal injuries; minor skin injuries; needle stick injuries; soft tissue injuries including sprains, strains and dislocations.
- Burns: From thermal, chemical, friction, or electrical contact
- Environmental Impact: Hypothermia, hyperthermia, dehydration or heat stroke Envenomation: From a snake, spider, insect and marine bites/stings
- Substance Misuse: High intake of common drugs and alcohol, including illicit drugs
- Other Conditions: Allergic reactions, bleeding, chest pain, choking/airway obstruction, fractures, near drowning, respiratory diseases, seizures, shock, stroke, altered or loss of consciousness, causality with no signs of life, excessive intake of poisoning and toxic substances (including chemical contamination).
There are 2 assessment criteria this certificate.
Theory – written assessment (multiple questions) to be completed at the end of the session
Practical – Participants are required to demonstrate 2 minutes of CPR on an adult manikin and 2 minutes of CPR on the baby manikins
If you feel the need to acquire extra learning support, our trainers will be more than happy to assist you. Please ensure to mention when booking your course that you require an additional Learning Support.
A nationally recognised and accredited HLTAID003 certificate will be issued within 2 working days via email following successful completion of the course. Units of competency included in this certificate include
- HLTAID001 Provide CPR
- HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
This certificate expires in 3 years from the date of issue.
It is recommended that the HLTAID001- Provide CPR is renewed annually.