The HLTAID012 one day course provides the skills and knowledge to provide a first aid response to any infant, child or adult.
This course has been approved by Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) who have deemed it to satisfy all requirements for first aid, anaphylaxis management and emergency asthma training under the Education and Care Services National Law, and the Education and Care Services National Regulations (2011).
This unit of competency is classified as current as per the information provided for this unit at https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/HLTAID012
This course is suitable for anyone working in long day care, family day care, preschool and outside of school hours (OOSH) care services. http://www.acecqa.gov.au/Qualifications.aspx
Course Mode and Duration
Option 1: Our course is flexible in delivery and comprises a pre-course online component followed by our 1 day in-class practical course. Available face to face in your workplace or a public training session. Duration = up to 8 hrs
Option 2: 4 online modules, face to face 2.5hrs
An online workbook is required to be completed prior to the face-face session. The link will be sent to you via email on registration.
Participants are required to present identification and a USI no. at the beginning of each training session. You can obtain your USI via the following link: https://www.usi.gov.au/
There are no prerequisite, entry, work-placement, licencing or certification requirements for this course.
Students are not required to bring any materials or equipment with them to the course.
Specific licensing requirements, including requirements for refresher training, should be obtained from the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) and/or relevant state/territory Work Health and Safety Regulatory Authority.
The HLTAID012 course will provide participants with the skills and knowledge to provide a first aid response for a range of incidents and conditions including:
- CPR techniques on adults, children and infants
- Compliance with first aid sections of the Education and Care Services National Law and the Education and Care Services National Regulations (2011)
- Incident reporting in a child care setting
- Child physiology
- How to properly assess an emergency situation
- Using an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- First aid procedures for bleeding, burns and fractures
- Managing medical conditions such as epilepsy
- Managing medical emergencies such as snake/spider bites, poisons and
- Infection control procedures
- Managing exposure to extreme temperatures
- Administering first aid for eye & soft tissue injuries
- Assessing and moving sick & injured
- Legal responsibilities of a first aider
- Basic anatomy
- Managing shock
- and much, much more!
Option 1 (face to face): There is a short multiple choice quiz at the end of the training, covering the practical Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care information learnt that day. Students will also be assessed on practical skills as a requirement to pass the course.
Option 2 (blended): The online modules are required to be completed prior to the practical session. A demonstration of practical skills is required to pass the course.
A nationally recognised and accredited HLTAID012 certificate will be issued within 2 working days via email following successful completion of the course. Units of competency included in this certificate include
1. HLTAID009 Provide CPR
2. HLTAID010 Provide basic emergency life support
3. HLTAID011 Provide first aid
4. HLTAID012 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
This certificate expires in 3 years from the date of issue.
It is recommended that the HLTAID009 – Provide CPR is renewed annually.
All certificates are issued by Healthcorp RTO 91222.